Based on the science of thermodynamics, fluid mechanics and heat transfer, the Lab focuses on the nexus between building systems energy efficiency and indoor environmental quality. AirLab has measurement, test and simulation capabilities for equipment and systems aimed at controlling temperature, humidity and air contaminants. The facilities include a complete set of environmental monitoring instruments, a thermostatic cleanroom chamber and test rigs for materials and equipment characterization.
We work on:
- Air contamination control in the built environment (evaluation of material emissions, performance assessment of operating theatres and cleanrooms, performance assessment of air filters).
- Recuperators, desiccant and evaporative cooling systems (development and test of desiccant wheels, air to air heat exchangers and indirect evaporative cooling systems).
- HVAC systems testing and simulation (built environment monitoring, development and test of equipment through “hardware in the loop” platform).
- Refrigeration and heat pumps (development and test of household refrigerators, heat pumps and solar assisted heat pumps).
- Museum environment, climate and energy in cultural heritage (Modelling, test and monitoring of museum display cases, measurement of water adsorption and thermo-physical properties of materials).
Politecnico di Milano – Energy Department
Building BL25 and BL25A
Via Lambruschini 4, 20156 – Milan